In some countries, such as the UK, persons with a disability should not be charged VAT on certain products.
Usually, the tax exemption applies to products designed or adapted for people with any kind of disability such as wheelchairs, medical appliances, and alarms.
If your Shopify store sells this kind of products, Sufio will help you automatically set customers with disabilities as tax-exempt so they are not charged VAT during checkout.
Add a disability field to the Customer Registration form
Sufio allows you to add an I am disabled checkbox to the Customer Registration form. This will allow your customers to declare themselves as disabled when they set up their customer accounts in your online store.
Such customers will then be tagged as disabled in your Shopify store and automatically set as tax-exempt.
To add the disability field to the Customer Registration form:
- In your Shopify admin, go to the Online Store → Themes page.
- Click the Actions button, then click Edit code.
- Select customers/register.liquid in the left sidebar. You might use the upper search bar for a faster search.
- Insert the following code snippet inside the
<form>. A good place for the field is below the Password field.
- Select index.liquid in the left sidebar.
- Insert the following code snippet at the end of this file.
Do you need help with customizing your Shopify store theme? Please contact our experienced support team. We'll be happy to assist!
View VAT Exemptions
When your business customer enters a VAT registration number using the newly added VAT registration number field, a VAT exemption request will be listed on the View VAT Exemptions page in your Sufio account.
On this page, you can access all successful and unsuccessful exemption requests made on your Shopify store. The provided filtering options make it possible for you to quickly review and troubleshoot the VAT exemption requests when needed.
To access the View VAT Exemptions page:
- In your Sufio account, go to the Settings → Taxes page.
- Click on View VAT Exemptions.