An ideal place for a VAT number field would be on the first page of the checkout process - where customers enter their name, address, and other details.
In this article, we will cover
- VAT registration numbers in your Shopify admin
- Add the VAT registration number field to the checkout page
- View VAT Exemptions page
VAT registration numbers in your Shopify admin
When your customer enters their VAT registration number using the VAT registration number field at checkout, the number will be stored as part of the customer notes within your Shopify admin.
The VAT registration number will be automatically validated, and the customer will be set up as tax-exempt when applicable. Moreover, the VAT registration number will appear on their invoices automatically.
Add the VAT registration number field to the checkout page
To add the VAT registration number field to the checkout page, you need to customize your Shopify store theme:
- In your Shopify admin, go to the page Online Store → Themes page.
- Click the Actions button, then click Edit code.
- Select checkout.liquid in the left sidebar. You might use the upper search bar for a faster search. Please note that only Shopify Plus stores can edit the checkout file.
- Insert the following code snippet just before the closing
Do you need help with customizing your Shopify store theme? Please contact our experienced support team. We'll be happy to assist!
View VAT Exemptions
When your business customer enters a VAT registration number using the newly added VAT registration number field, a VAT exemption request will be listed on the View VAT Exemptions page in your Sufio account.
On this page, you can access all successful and unsuccessful exemption requests made on your Shopify store. The provided filtering options make it possible for you to quickly review and troubleshoot the VAT exemption requests when needed.
To access the View VAT Exemptions page:
- In your Sufio account, go to the Settings → Taxes page.
- Click on View VAT Exemptions.