In Canada, indigenous persons, or otherwise called Indians or First Nations, should not be charged GST/HST on goods and services under certain circumstances.
If you're selling products in your Shopify store that meet the criteria to exempt indigenous people from tax, Sufio will help you automatically set these customers as tax exempt so they are not charged GST/HST during the checkout.
Add INAC Number field to customer registration page
Sufio allows you to add a new INAC Number field to the Customer Registration form. This will allow your indigenous customers to enter their INAC numbers when they set up their customer accounts in your store to declare they are registered as Status Indians with the Canadian Department of Indigenous and Northern Affairs.
Customers will then be tagged as INAC in your Shopify store and automatically set as tax exempt.
To add the INAC field to the Customer Registration page:
- Go to the page Online Store → Themes in your Shopify admin.
- Click the Actions button, then click Edit code.
- Select customers/register.liquid in the left sidebar.
- Insert the following code snippet inside the
<form>. A good place for the field is below the Password field.
- Select index.liquid in the left sidebar.
- Insert the following code snippet at the end of this file.
Please note that to make tax exemptions work, you need to enable the tax exemptions feature in your Sufio account.
Do you need help with inserting the code snippet into your Shopify store theme code? Please contact our support team. We'll be happy to assist!