This short guide will help you set up taxes correctly for your Shopify store based in India.
First, please note that you're obliged to charge taxes only if your business is registered for GST.
In most Indian states, you are required to register for GST if your annual turnover exceeds 19 lakhs. In the North Eastern Indian states, the threshold is 9 lakhs.
You can set tax rates for your store on the Settings → Taxes page in your Shopify admin.
If you do not see India in the list of countries in the Tax rates list, you will need to add it as a shipping zone first.
- If you do not see India in the Tax rates list, go to Settings → Shipping→ Shipping profiles and click Create new profile.
- Click Create Shipping zone and select India.
Once you have India included in the Tax rates list, you can set up the individual tax rates of each state.
To set up tax rates for India:
- Go to Settings → Taxes in your Shopify admin and click on India.
- Enter the 9% CGST tax rate into the Country Tax field.
- For the state your store is based in, add the SGST (or UTGST) rate and choose added to 9% federal tax from the drop-down.
- For all other states, add the IGST rate and choose instead of 9% federal tax from the drop-down.
Different tax rates
If you sell products that are taxed at different tax rates (slabs), you will need to add tax overrides.
To set up tax overrides in Shopify:
- Go to Settings → Taxes in your Shopify admin and click India.
- Scroll down to Tax overrides.
- Add a collection of products from your store that should be taxed differently and set their Tax Ratesfor both India and individual states.
Please be aware that changing your tax settings in Shopify will only affect orders and invoices created after the change was done. Taxes on your existing invoices will remain unchanged.
Get your free Shopify Tax Guide
Charging your customers the correct tax rates is essential for your business.
Get a free copy of our easy-to-read guide and kick off your sales!
When you set your tax rates correctly in your store, Sufio will automatically create valid invoices with the breakdown of different GST taxes charged.
Issuing invoices with a correct tax breakdown is vitally important for your bookkeeping and tax purposes.
Also, if your online store has an annual turnover of more than Rs. 1.5 crores, it is necessary that you include HSN codes of your products on invoices. Sufio will automatically display these codes in the Description section of your invoices.